The first task when building a custom print template is to choose a template to customise.
Depending on your requirements and level of experience with Microsoft Word, you can choose to:
- download a sample template from WorkflowMax (recommended), or
- modify an existing Microsoft Word document.
The WorkflowMax sample print templates are in Microsoft Word .docx format. The .docx templates can only be edited and saved in Microsoft Word (2007 or later on PC, 2008 or later on Mac). Custom print templates cannot be edited in Google Docs as Google Docs does not support Microsoft Word's merge field functionality.
Download a sample template
To download a sample print template from WorkflowMax:
- In the Business menu, select Settings > Custom Templates.
- On the Samples tab, click the View Template button next to the sample template you wish to modify. The template .docx file is downloaded to your computer.
Sample Invoice templates are available with and without time sheets, and the Quote/Estimate template can be used for either quotes or estimates.
- (optional) Move the sample template to a folder where you can easily find it to make changes to it in Microsoft Word. You might also rename the file to give it a more meaningful name. For example: CustomInvoice.docx.
Modify an existing Microsoft Word document
This option is included for completeness only, as it is possible for more advanced users to set up custom print templates from scratch, based on existing Microsoft Word .docx documents.
We recommend that you start out by downloading a sample template from WorkflowMax, as the required merge fields for each type of document are already in place. Once you have some experience of working with custom print templates, you might consider setting them up from scratch.
Where to next?
The next stage is to Customise a print template.