You may sometimes wish to apply a discount to an invoice you are preparing:
- to encourage the client to pay on or before the due date
- as an incentive to obtain further work, or
- as a way of reducing your overall charges, possibly to avoid a dispute.
In WorkflowMax, a discount is a negative cost that is used to reduce the amount invoiced to the client. A discount can be applied as a lump sum or a percentage amount as you create an invoice.
You can apply a discount only while you are creating an invoice.
Apply a discount
To apply a discount to an invoice:
- If required, navigate to the New Invoice screen:
- In the Business menu, select Invoices.
- On the Draft tab, drill down on the draft invoice you want to work with.
- On the New Invoice screen, in a folder or group of tasks/costs, select Add cost.
- On the New Invoice Cost screen, provide the following information, as required.
Field Description Description
For a discount, use the description to provide details of the reason for the discount. For example: Prompt payment discount.
To apply a discount, this value is a negative quantity, which is used to multiply the value in the Unit Price field.
Highlight the Quantity field, then do one of the following:
- For a lump-sum discount, type -1.
- For a percentage discount, type the discount you require, divided by 100. For example, for a 10% discount, type: -0.1.
This cost is not used when applying a discount, so the value can be zero.
The amount shown in this field (multiplied by the Quantity value) will be subtracted from the other costs in the invoice. This is the pre-tax amount, so do not include tax in this price. WorkflowMax will calculate the correct tax amount, based on the value you select in the Tax drop-down list.
This reference code is not required for a discount. Leave the Code field blank.
Make sure the Billable checkbox is selected so that the discount will be applied to the other costs in the invoice.
The tax name and rate to apply to the discount. Select the same rate that was applied to the original invoice.
Any comments or notes relating to the discount.
- Save your changes.