You can use a miscellaneous invoice to create a credit note for invoices that do not relate to a specific or currently active job. This may be required when a client has been invoiced incorrectly:
- for a completed job (or series of jobs), or
- for work that does not relate to a specific job, such as a monthly retainer.
You can create a credit note for a currently active job by using the instructions: Create a credit note for a duplicate progress invoice.
To use a miscellaneous invoice to create a credit note:
- In the Business menu, select Invoices > +New > New Progress Invoice.
- On the New Progress Invoice screen, select your Client and (if required) Contact. Make sure that Miscellaneous Invoice is selected, and click Next.
- On the New Invoice screen, Costs section, click Add cost.
- On the New Invoice Cost screen, provide the following information, as required.
Field Description Description
For a credit note, use the description to provide details of the reason for the credit note. For example: Credit against final invoice #Inv0012345.
For a credit note this value needs to be a negative quantity. Highlight the Quantity field and type -1.
This cost is not used when producing a credit note, so the value can be zero.
The amount shown in this field will be used to cancel out part or all of a previous invoice to the client. This is the pre-tax amount, so do not include tax in this price. WorkflowMax will calculate the correct tax amount, based on the value you select in the Tax drop-down list.
This reference code is not required for a credit note. Leave the Code field blank.
Make sure the Billable checkbox is selected so that the total value of the credit note can cancel out the required amount in the earlier invoice.
The tax name and rate to apply to the credit note. Select the same rate that was applied to the original invoice.
Any comments or notes relating to the credit note.
- Save your changes.
- Click Approve. The credit note is created and allocated the next available invoice number.
- On the Business > Invoices > Awaiting Payment tab:
- Use the checkbox to the left of the invoice number to select the credit note you have just created.
- Click Mark as Paid. This will move it from the Awaiting Payment list into the invoice archive.