A purchase order Purchase orders are used to order items that may be used during work on your jobs. You can create a purchase order for items for a single job, or a purchase order for items for several jobs (a bulk purchase order). can be created in the Purchase Order Manager to purchase a range of goods and services from a selected supplier, for a single job.
If you want to create a purchase order for items used by multiple different jobs, see Creating a bulk purchase order.
To create a purchase order in the Purchase Order Manager:
- In the Business menu, select Purchases > New Purchase Order.
- On the New Purchase Order screen, provide the following information, as required.
Field Description Job The job that this purchase order relates to. Select a job from the Job drop-down list. Supplier The name of the supplier of the required goods and services. Select the required supplier from the drop-down list. Description Description of the purchase order. The text you type here will be included in the purchase order. Delivery Address Required delivery address.
- On the Purchase Order Information screen, select the correct tax rate from the Tax drop-down list. This rate will be applied to all items on the purchase order, unless a specific tax rate is set for individual items below.
- Add cost items to the purchase order (for the currently selected job) by providing the following information, as required.
Field Description Description
Description of the item whose cost is to be included in the purchase order. The text you type is matched against the cost items, stored in the Cost Admin database (Business > Settings > Costs), so that you can select one of these items if you wish.
Alternatively, you can just type in details of a new cost item (which is added to the purchase order but not to the Cost Admin database). Any new cost items added to the purchase order in this way will be added to the job when the purchase order is receipted.
Quantity The number of items required. This could be a simple count of the number of items or a number of units (10 metres of cable, for example). Unit Cost The expected cost per item. Code The supplier's or manufacturer's code for the item. Tax The tax rate to apply to the item. This must match the value selected in the Tax field for the whole purchase order, unless it is set to zero for the item specifically. Notes Any notes you wish to include on the purchase order for this item.
- Add. The item is added to the purchase order items listed at the bottom of the screen.
- Repeat Steps 5–6 to include additional items in the purchase order, as required.
- Check that the information shown is correct then select one of the following buttons.
Once a purchase order has been issued, the financial details it contains cannot be changed.
Button Description Save Draft & Print
Saves current purchase order information and displays the Print Purchase Order screen.
Saves current purchase order information and displays the main Purchase Order Manager screen. You can edit purchase orders while they are in the draft state.
Issue & Print Changes purchase order status to Issued, saves current purchase order information and displays the Print Purchase Order screen. Issue
Changes purchase order status to Issued, saves current purchase order information and displays the main Purchase Order Manager screen.
Issue & Receipt
(on Issue drop-down)
Changes purchase order status to Issued, saves the current purchase order information and displays the Purchase Order Full Receipt screen.
Cancel Deletes the current draft purchase order.