Before you begin
Before you set up or change any staff details in WorkflowMax, please read the text below to learn more about how staff base rates, billable rates and security privileges are used.
- Staff base rates and billable rates
Each staff member has a base rate and a billable rate, which are both used by WorkflowMax for important financial calculations.
A staff member's Staff Base Rate is critically important as it will be used to calculate the 'actual cost' to you of all time sheet entries written by the staff member. It also affects all actual profit calculations. The Staff Base Rate is the FULL cost to you of employing a staff member.
To calculate the rate, start with their base hourly rate (say $40.00 per hour). Then add on allowances for annual leave, sick leave, public holidays, bonuses, accident levies, superannuation and anything else that will affect their overall cost to the business. This may, for example increase the value you put into the Staff Base Rate field from $40/hour to (for example) $48.52. The more accurate this number, the more accurate will be your profitability reporting.
A staff member's Staff Billable Rate answers the question 'If someone came to you and asked to buy one hour of Mary's time (irrespective of what task/work Mary did), what would you charge them?' The value you use for a staff member's Staff Billable Rate also depends on whether you are using staff or task billing:
- Staff billing. If your Task Invoice Rate The Task Invoice Rate is a key configuration setting (set in Business > Settings > Organisation Settings > Job (Section) ). If it is set to Staff Billable, WorkflowMax will use Staff billing when calculating the cost of time spent working on a task. If it is set to Task Billable, WorkflowMax will use Task billing when calculating the cost of time spent working on a task. is set to Staff Billable, then the Staff Billable Rate is also a critical setting, as it will be used to calculate all Quotable and Billable values involving this staff member.
- Task billing. If your Task Invoice Rate is set to Task Billable, then the Staff Billable Rate for all staff may be set to 0.00. However we recommend that you do populate this field with a meaningful number, in case you should ever need to switch an individual job's Task Invoice Rate from Task Billable to Staff Billable, which can be done on the Financial tab of any job.
The following video will give you more information about how base rates and billing rates work.
- Security privileges
By changing the privilege settings on a person-by-person basis, you can control the access they have to using the features of WorkflowMax.
Before you set up or change a staff member's security privilege settings, please review these examples.
- For a basic staff member, deselect all privileges. They can view jobs they are assigned to, and enter time against those jobs. However they cannot access the Clients or Business menus. This means that they cannot create or view clients; or view, edit and create quotes or invoices or view financial information.
- For the owner and business manager who require full access to all features, select all privileges.
- For the office administrator, who requires only administrative access, select only financial privileges.
Several privileges include a Delete option. We recommend that you select the Delete option only for staff with the Administrator privilege.
Limiting visibility of staff base rates
To prevent a staff member from being able to view staff base rates for other staff, remove the following privileges from their staff record.
- Administrator, which allows staff to view or edit all staff base rates.
- Financial Reports, which gives access to Reports > Standard Reports.
- Report Builder, which gives access to create and run custom reports.
- Job Financial Summary, which gives access to the Job financial summary report, which contains information that can be used to work out staff base rates for other staff.
Add a staff member
To add a staff member to WorkflowMax, you need to enter the staff member's details in WorkflowMax, and invite the staff member to login (the staff member is automatically sent an email that includes their login credentials).
To add a staff member to WorkflowMax:
- In the Business menu, select Settings > Staff > Invite Staff.
- On the Invite Staff screen, provide information as required (see Data field reference, below).
- Save your changes. The staff member is added to WorkflowMax and an email is sent to their email address, inviting them to login.
Edit a staff member
To edit information for a specific staff member:
- In the Business menu, select Settings > Staff.
- On the Staff screen, drill down on the person's name.
- On the staff detail screen (Staff Information tab), view or change their information and general privilege settings, as required (see Data field reference, below).
- Save your changes.
Data field reference
- General Information
Field Description Name Employee's full name. Currently Working?
If an employee temporarily leaves the company (on unpaid leave for example), but plans to return later, deselect this checkbox to indicate they are not currently available. Their name will not appear in the list of available resources when allocating staff to a job.
Deselecting this checkbox does not prevent the staff member from accessing their account.
A staff member is counted towards your total number of subscribed users regardless of the setting of this checkbox. So, if you are currently on a 10 user subscription plan, deselecting any users who are not currently working will not affect your subscription.
The employee's email address, which they will use to log in to WorkflowMax.
Each staff member must have their own unique email address.
Any notes specific to this employee.
- Financial Information
Field Description Base Rate
The hourly cost of employing this staff member. This is not just their hourly rate, but may include an allowance for other costs you need to meet in relation to employing that person, such as annual leave, sick leave, ACC and superannuation. WorkflowMax will use this rate to determine the profits made on each job, so it is important that this is value is correct.
If the base rate is incorrect during time sheet entry, you will need to delete the time entry, correct the base rate and then re-enter the time.
The hourly rate that the employee is charged out at. The Billable Rate is required only if the Organisation Settings > Task Invoice Rate is configured as Staff Billable Rate.
The payroll code used in your payroll system software for this employee. This is required only if you will be interfacing with a payroll system that integrates with WorkflowMax.
- Contact Information
Field Description Address
Home or other contact telephone number.
Mobile telephone number.
To select (or deselect) all privileges in a specific section, select (or deselect) the Full checkbox in the Privilege header bar.
- General Privileges
- Admin Privileges
Privilege Controls a user's ability to... Administrator
Work as WorkflowMax administrator with full access to all features.
Work as cost administrator with full access to cost information only.
Create, edit and delete job templates.
Create, edit and delete tasks.
- Financial Privileges
- API Access Privileges
Privilege Controls a user's ability to... Authorise 3rd Party Full Access
Connect your WorkflowMax account to third-party add-ons. This privilege is available only if the staff member has Administrator access (see Admin Privileges).
- Interface Information
Field Description Export Code You can add an export code to each staff record if you plan to export your time sheets to a payroll system that requires a staff identifier code.