The WorkflowMax global search feature lets you quickly find information in the Name or Number field of a wide range of items including jobs, invoices, quotes and clients.
Using global search
- On any WorkflowMax screen, use the search icon to open the global search box.
You can also use the forward slash (/) shortcut key to open the global search box.
- In the global search box, type the text you're looking for. WorkflowMax tries to match this text with text in the job, invoice, quote, client or other item's Name or Number field.
- Optimising your search
- When searching for a name, you need to enter at least the first three characters in any word of the name.
- When searching for a phone number, you need to enter at least the first three digits in any group of digits.
- When searching for an invoice, quote, purchase order or job number, you need to enter the number in full.
- Apart from quotes and jobs, archived information is not searched.
- Search results are restricted by your user privileges, so you may not see all the results you expect.
- Any leads, quotes, jobs or invoices that match the search criteria will not be included in the results, if the client they are for has already been included.
- Details of data fields searched and effect of security privileges
The following table lists the items and data fields that are searched by the global search.
Item Security privilege reqd. Data field searched Notes on search results Client Client (View) Name Phone The deleted or archived clients will not be included in the results. Client Group Client (View) Name Client Groups are searched only when the WorkflowMax Premium module is enabled. Contact Client (View) Name The following contacts will not be included in the results:
- deleted contacts
- contacts associated with a deleted or archived client.
Invoice Invoices Number Only issued invoices will be included in the results. Draft and archived invoices will not be included.
Invoices will be searched for an exact match on invoice number.
Job See Notes on search results column Number Name If the user has the Job Manager (View) privilege, the search will be across all jobs, otherwise the search will only be on the jobs the user is assigned to.
All jobs (including archived jobs) will be searched for an exact match on job number.
The Name field is not searched in archived jobs.
Lead Lead Management Name Leads will only be included when the Lead Management module is enabled.
Leads that have been flagged as 'Lost', and therefore show only in the Archive, will not appear in the search results.
Prospects Client (View) Lead Management Name Phone Prospects will only be included when the Lead Management module is enabled. Deleted or archived prospects will not be included in the results. Purchase Orders Purchase Orders Number Only active and draft purchase orders will be included in the search result. Archived purchase orders will not be included. Quote Quotes Number All quotes (including archived quotes) will be searched for an exact match on quote number. Quote Quotes Name The Name field will not be searched for archived quotes. Suppliers Supplier (View) Name Deleted or archived suppliers will not be included in the results.
If necessary, results are grouped into categories (leads, jobs and invoices in this example screenshot).
- Press Enter to open the item displayed at the top of the results list.
- Drill down on the to display items in a category.
- To open an item, just click it.
- Optimising your search
The Show more link
When displaying the global search results, the system will only list the first 10 results for each category. However, the count will include the total number of matching records.
If more than 10 results are found, the "Show more xxx" link (where xxx is Jobs, Invoices or another item name) will display at the bottom of each category.
- Details of how the Show more link operates
The effect of clicking on the "Show more" link varies depending on the type of item.
Show more... Navigates to... Jobs Job Manager, and displays My or All jobs tab (based on user's privileges). Text in the Search tab defaults to the text entered in the global search. Leads Lead Manager, and displays All tab. Text in the Search box defaults to the text entered in the global search. Quotes Quote Manager, and displays the All tab. Text in the Search box defaults to the text entered in the global search. Clients Client Manager, and displays the Clients tab under the default system filter (All Clients). Text in the search box defaults to "type=clients" followed by the text entered in the global search. Contacts Client Manager, and displays the Contacts tab under the default system filter (All Clients). Text in the search box defaults to the text entered in the global search. Client Groups (WorkflowMax Premium only) Client Manager, and displays the Groups tab under the default system filter (All Clients). There is no search box on the groups screen. Suppliers Not defined yet.
Search results card
When the search returns only a single record, the system will display the "card" for that item rather than the standard search result listing. For example, if only one quote is returned, the quote card will be displayed, if one quote and one client are returned, then the quote list and the client list will be displayed.
When displaying the card for a client, prospect, supplier or contact, if there are no records for a section (invoices, for example), then that section is not displayed on the card. Drilling into a section will display all the active records for that section (draft invoices will not be included). Clicking on the "View all" link will redirect the user to the related tab on the client or contact details page.
There is no card display for client groups.
Remembering previous searches
If you're using a recent version of Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer or any browser that supports local storage, WorkflowMax will remember the last 10 search criteria you have used.